Friday, October 17, 2014

Some things I needed to say.

     I wrote this on the plane to Brussels. There isn't much to do when you fly. You have movies, sleep, and music. I found it a great time to reflect on my past. This has been on my mind for a while and I wanted to make a quick post about it.

     I miss my friends back in the Midwest, and am blessed I was able to grow up there.

     I've been a lot of places for racing and there isn't anything like home. Everyone claims that their development program is this or that but after being able to actually see how others are developing kids to be the "future" of the sport; i have come to an easy conclusion. The Midwest is doing it right. No doubt in my mind.

     I was taught how to win, lose, be a good teammate, treat your competitors with respect, never quit, and most importantly - I learned to love riding my bike.

     I'm thankful that I was taught to enjoy riding my bike, and not just worry about racing. I loved cycling before I even thought about racing. 

      It sickens me when I see kids riding their hearts out only because they want to make their parents, friends, or somebody proud. I see it all the time. When you're 10, worrying about your parents being angry if you don't podium. There is no way you will enjoy any part of what you're doing. I'm not saying go out to a race and have a "leisurely ride through the park". I'm saying the coaches/mentors of these junior teams should be teaching kids to love riding their bikes.  Not just focusing on being the "top junior team" or winning every race they enter. Clubs need to understand nobody remembers who the "junior team of the year" was in 2002, or anytime for that matter. Yes it's cool to win when you're 9 or 12, but it's even cooler to win the elite race when you're 25. You want your kids to ride 10 years from now. Teams need to stop pressuring young junior riders, show them why riding is fun, and let them develope their competitive edge themselves. 

     When the time comes to step it up and they still have the love. Well then making the jump to the next level doesn't feel like it's being forced but rather a decision for he/she to make. 


      As a young junior I never felt pressured to race my bike. The Midwest cycling community and mainly Louisville did that for me.

     There are so many people to thank for helping me develope my passion for cycling. The Midwest is inspiring because they want to see you succeed. My Dad, the McShanes, Bob Bobrow, Curtis Tolson, Joe Collins, Mike Hewitt, Corey Green, Doug Dobrozsi, Mitch Gram, Chris Halioris, the entire OVCX staff.. the list goes on and on. It's something I haven't seen anywhere else. The passion and patience to grow the sport the right way. 

     I want to thank the Midwest cycling community, for everything. While I'm still an amature in the sport, I'm blessed I was taught the right way to do things. I can't explain how excited I am to come back in just a few weeks to race in both Cinci and my hometown, Louisville. It will be something special. So if you see me out at the course please stop me and say hello, I miss all of you and can't wait to come home. You're doing it right, Midwest. Don't stop.

     Never forget where you come from.

Until next time.
-Gavin T

List of pictures in order from when I started racing until now.
                (My first year of cyclocross at Friday practice)
                                    (My best friend Ian and I racing MTB)
                               (I used to be nice and fluffy guys, don't hate.) 
     
                           (2009, Bend Nationals)


               (2010 at Nationals with Pencer Petrov, Me, Ben Golver, and ian McShane)

        (A couple years ago at Derby City Cup) 


                               (Beginning of 2013 cyclocross season)

                   (First 1/2 win in OVCX series)

                       (After race "John Bryan" last season)


                                                 (Ian and I)

                                      (Last season, in Europe)
                     (Legendary after race stories with Josey Weik)

                       (All in for 2014-2015 cross season)


          (My friend, Lance and I today in Sittard, Netherlands)

3 comments: