Sunday, October 12, 2014

My life the past 8 months.

So let me start off by saying I know I've been inactive for a while. While i can't change the past I can still control the present and am planning to blog constantly throughout the cross season. It's going to be a little bit different though. Instead of long stories, I will bring quick race updates with a few of my favorite moments. Or something along that line.

     Alright... 

While some of you may know my 2013-2014 cross season was a breakout year for me. I achieved many of my goals and the largest of those being a selection to the world championships as a first year junior. The race was held in the Netherlands last Feburary. The dream ended rough unfortunately, with a training crash only a week before the big day. I broke 3 ribs, collapsed my lung, and messed myself up pretty bad. Because of the lung injury I wasn't able to fly home for close to 2 months. The doctors said the pressure from the plane would cause the lung to collapse again. I was blessed enough to have the Segers let me live with them for that time. While it was hard being away from family and friends for that long I made the best of what it was. When the time came to come home I was happy but also sad. I have a new family in Belgium and they made me feel at home and loved. I have memories for a lifetime and can't wait to make many more. Couldn't have been in a better place at the time.

Long story short I got home and immediately started the preparation for my road season. Within a week of being home I was already in California at team training camp with Hincapie Sportwear Development. I had an awesome time on the road and had the opportunity to travel all around the country doing what I love thanks to the teams amazing support. Can't thank the people involved enough for such a dream season.  

While I didn't accomplish the results I planned on having I was able to support my teammate David Lambardo whenever I could. He had an amazing year and everyone should remember that name. If you haven't already just look the guy up. His results speak for him, and he won't being leaving anytime soon.  Loved being teammates with guys like that. Who are just as focused and determined to accomplish the same thing as yourself. 

Moving on to things other then racing, ( literally moving ;) ) my Dad was offered a job out in Northern California at the beginning of the summer and our family decided to go for it. It's been quite an adventure so far. While I still feel pretty weird saying "hello, my names Gavin, I'm from California" I'm starting to learn a lot about where I now live. Let me say, the training here is unreal! It's crazy the motivation you get from having new places to ride. On another note, meeting new friends and people hasn't been that difficult. I guess cyclists are doing that everyday anyway. So far everything is going great and I'm in intense preparation for the biggest cyclocross season of my life. 

I actually just got back home to CA a few days ago after spending the past 2 weeks training at cyclocross camp in Minnesota at my coaches house. I ran, rode, tested, ran some more, and was even able to do a little work on his farm; which was an eye opening experiance. Farming is hard work guys. I have crazy respect for anyone in this industry.

As far as my plans for this cross season, it will be exciting! This coming Wednesday I'll be flying to the Netherlands to participate in the first round of the World Cup series, in Valkenburg with USA cycling. Super excited for this opportunity and it will be good to see how I'm riding at this time of the year. I come home soon after and then it's right back to traveling and racing with UCI junior races in both Cincinnati, and Louisville (where I grew up). From Lousiville I fly to Belgium and begin my European campaign.  I'll stay in Europe from the beginning of November racing all the major UCI events which include the World Cup series, Superprestige series, and B-post series. Ill fly back for US Nationals in early January held in Texas. Hoping everything goes to plan I will then fly back to Europe for the World Championships in Tabor, Czech Republic. I may stay a couple more weeks after depending on my result at worlds. I would then race the rest of the Superprestige and B-post series. 

And that's that. 

I will be giving race updates for all the major UCI stuff and some quick reads on the life in Europe. 

Until next time. 

Gavin T.


Thanks to all my sponsors, Focus Bikes, Coure of Switzerland, Hed wheels, Infinite Nutrition, Chalenge Tires, Bell Helmets, Bontrager Shoes, and Time Pedals.




2 comments:

  1. Go, Gavin! Go! Ride hard. Be safe.
    God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're the man, Gav!! Be safe, pray often, trust in the Lord! And ride like the wind!! Love Ya dude.

    ReplyDelete